Wednesday, February 4, 2009

HANDSOME GUY




Dick Glasser was an American singer who also recorded under the name of Dick Lory. Many moons ago I heard his song 'Handsome Guy' (probably around 1962) and bought it on a 45. At the time I thought it was one of the best songs I had ever heard. Now, some 50 years later I haven't changed my mind.

His singing career was not the greatest but he went on to spend his life in the industry until his death in 2000. He was a very successful song writer, producer etc.
He wrote the song 'I Will' and some of his productions were Walk Don't Run, Bye Bye Love, Batman Theme and numerous others and he did singing back ups for Johnny Cash and Dean Martin.

Handsome Guy was written by P.J.Proby and I see a version was recorded by NZ singer Antoni Williams. Antoni was his real name, but he recorded for several years under the name of Toni Williams then his manager decided to change his name back to Antoni which was a disaster. So in time he went back to his usual stage name. I can't remember, but it was probably hearing the Williams version which put me onto the Dick Lory record.

The fabulous Dick Lory is just a click away.

No comments:

Post a Comment